Support the Park!
Ralph White River Hero
The 2015 Ralph White River Heroes were celebrated on April 30 at the Rice Center. A selection committee composed of community leaders worked to select this year's heroes. The 2015 winners are:
- Anne Wright -- Biologist and educator who has volunteered for the park for over a decade.
- Scott Turner -- Founder and owner of Riverside Outfitters and True Timber.
- Dennis Bussey -- Founder and organizer of the James River Hikers meet-up group.
Ralph White was on hand to deliver the awards which were re-named in his honor this year. In addition, attendees of the event had the opportunity to taste Legend Brewery's new Z-Dam Ale before it went on sale to the general public.
Nominations for next year's River Heroes awards will begin in February, so start thinking now of who would be a great award recipient!
History of the Award
In 2011, The Friends of the James River Park launched the River Heroes Award to acknowledge and honor individuals and organizations that have made significant contributions to James River Park. The award is now called the Ralph White River Hero Award in honor of former Park Manager Ralph White — one of the 2014 River Hero Award recipients.
Past recipient’s wide-ranging efforts included volunteer work, educational efforts, preservation, and promotional activities that encourage responsible use of the Park. Their contributions have been showcased at the Friends of James River Park annual picnic at the Historic Pump House.
Individuals, companies, or organizations may be nominated. To qualify, projects must be coordinated with Park staff and contribute to one or more of the following areas:
- Preservation: Enhance, protect and/or preserve James River Park for future generations through leadership, hands-on volunteer work or changes to public policy.
- Education: Create educational opportunities by leading educational or recreational groups through the Park and encouraging responsible Park stewardship.
- Promotion: Promote the park to the public and/or Park visitors through art/film/photography, projects, lectures, and other activities.
Who is a River Hero?
Anyone who has worked to make the James River a better place for both people and wildlife.
Read the 2015 River Heroes Award Press Release (PDF)